Saturday, August 15, 2009

Basketball Bedroom



My son LOVES basketball and wants to be in the NBA. We redecorated his room in basketball for his birthday gift. We wanted this to be a surprise so I worked on all of the elements of the room while he was at school and waited for an opportunity to do the painting and decorating. My sister and brother-in-law asked my son what he wanted for his birthday and he requested to sleep at their house and play the wii as their gift to him. That turned out really well because we were able to redo the room while he was at their house.

I painted an accent wall in his room orange and used round sponges dipped in a darker orange-brown paint to add a basketball-type texture. I then taped off the lines and painted them black. It turned out really well! I looked for pennants to use as his curtain but was shocked to find that they were $25 or more EACH! I needed 5 so I ended up making them using felt. I made a scoreboard out of a magnetic whiteboard we already had and I glued numbers to magnets so that he could really use it as a scoreboard if he wanted. I was also shocked to find that a sports ball rack was so expensive so I used a toy storage rack with the plastic tubs that we had. I sewed Utah Jazz fabric into pillowcases. For the accent pillows, I used one of his old Jr Jazz jerseys, a basketball net and an extra pennant. The accessories are a coaches whiteboard clipboard, a basketball trophie and another old Jr Jazz jersey I hung on the wall. I found a metal dresser with a locker look at IKEA.

My son was so surprised to see his new room and he absolutely LOVES it! This was a fun project and I think it turned out really good!

1 comment:

Tracie said...

That wall is seriously amazing. What a great room.